Expired test kits

Reaction score
Over the weekend I went to my lfs were I stay trying to find some test kits. I browsed the shelve and found some Salfiret test kits. Only down side was that these tests had expired as per the sticker on them. I asked the manager on duty if these test are still good and he explained to me as the seal is not broken they still good. He even offered me a discount on the product as the date had expired on them.

1. Now my question is these people just out to make money?
2. If something expired shouldnt it be removed from the shelve? Whats the point then of a sticker if it has a expiring date on if its left on the shelve.

But that is exactly my point.....Then it must be removed from the shelve and be thrown away and not be offered to someone at discounted price.

well heres the catch, that date is just a fail safe, i bought expired from my LFS on condition we could compare to a testkit he uses in the shop, i tested at home, then tested by him and still good

but need a relationship with them to exchange if a problem

well heres the catch, that date is just a fail safe, i bought expired from my LFS on condition we could compare to a testkit he uses in the shop, i tested at home, then tested by him and still good

but need a relationship with them to exchange if a problem
I get what you say Dallas but that is just a pain in the back driving up and down to double check paramaters just because my kit expired what I bought and cant trust it.

I get what you say Dallas but that is just a pain in the back driving up and down to double check paramaters just because my kit expired what I bought and cant trust it.
exactly,if you dont trust it then dont buy it regardless of who tells you what,your logic already tells you that you dont want issues so spend the normal price for one thats not expired ;)

exactly,if you dont trust it then dont buy it regardless of who tells you what,your logic already tells you that you dont want issues so spend the normal price for one thats not expired ;)
What he said. :p Don't be tempted by a cheaper price. Simply walk out and take your business to another pet shop. If you buy an expired test kit then you only have yourself to blame. :)

Over the weekend I went to my lfs were I stay trying to find some test kits. I browsed the shelve and found some Salfiret test kits. Only down side was that these tests had expired as per the sticker on them. I asked the manager on duty if these test are still good and he explained to me as the seal is not broken they still good. He even offered me a discount on the product as the date had expired on them.

1. Now my question is these people just out to make money?
2. If something expired shouldnt it be removed from the shelve? Whats the point then of a sticker if it has a expiring date on if its left on the shelve.

You are lucky that you did not mention the shops name.

Don't go back. That is terrible. A good LFS would take the kit if the shelf and make sure the unexpired ones are sold.

It's also not always easy to monitor every single item in a store especially in a big store. Also it's a product that they have paid money for to make money. If the lfs gets it right to sell you something expired then they are good lol but in all honesty you or anybody will still go to that store again in any case so yeah no use complaining lol

Im not complaining...was just upset because after i showed them the product that expired they still tried to sell it to me. Am sure some other customer will buy it. I know bussiness is bussiness but ripping someone of is not cool in my books.

giving the client an empty box is ripping them off, giving them something that they are asking for and agreeing on is different :) and if the client jumps for joy at the discounted price and pays with a smile then how is the client being ripped off? the store is actually ripping themselves off cos they couldve somehow swopped that product out with their suppliers and gotten another one to sell you at full price...so yeah once again,if the client falls for it then the client is to blame..

So I think the lesson here is to double check the items you buy and NEVER trust the salesmen....

So I think the lesson here is to double check the items you buy and NEVER trust the salesmen....
wrong,cos if thats the case then you can NEVER ask any lfs for advice ... pls remember that other members including new guys read these threads so dont create this bad thing that doesnt really exist ... the lesson here is,as an adult, only YOU are responsible for YOUR OWN actions and decisions :);)

Ok i just phrased it wrongly.....Dont want to create miss preception on petshops. What I say is just check the items before you buy it.

Back
Top Bottom