What water tests should be done before fish are introduced

Reaction score
Right guys I did my fist red sea water test on my tank and the results were as follows.

Nitrites-0
Amonia- 0
Nitrates- 0
Ph 8
KH 6.5kh

No From the info I gather on the net I believe my water to be perfect "please tell me if you think otherwise"

What other tests do I need to do before I put any fish in?

Also could I start introducing shrimps now?

Thanks guys

Have a good evening.

:peroni:

Its been running two weeks now. I will wait a minimum of 4 weeks before I put any fish in.

Maybe consider putting some easy to keep hardy corals first. I know people rush to buy fish first after the 4 week cycle, but another way of doing things is first building up corals (if you building a reef), so that when you do get fish, they actually enter a reef like, living environment - which can make them feel less stressed, and more secure in a natural habitat.

P.S. soft corals, and some lps can actually be easier to keep than fish, and give you good practise at keeping good water parameters :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Right guys I did my fist red sea water test on my tank and the results were as follows.

Nitrites-0
Amonia- 0
Nitrates- 0
Ph 8
KH 6.5kh

No From the info I gather on the net I believe my water to be perfect "please tell me if you think otherwise"

What other tests do I need to do before I put any fish in?

Also could I start introducing shrimps now?

Thanks guys

Have a good evening.

:peroni:

Those parameters you state can be found in swimming pools, bath water, koi ponds, bird baths etc... :)

The important thing is the salinity and temperature. If those are correct, then the parameters you mentioned should be fine for a marine tank start up. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I have a heater in my tank and thus didn't think about checking the temperature but I will check it. I will get a salinity test kit in the morrow.

Back
Top Bottom