Urgent help needed Clownfish full of white spots

Reaction score
Morning all

This started a week ago, in the mornings my Clown looks like in the pic but about 2 hours later it all goes away?

I have noticed my other Clown might have one or 2 spots, some mornings nothing and some mornings more. My Fairy Wrasse is also the same, as the clown in the pic.

The rest of all my fish is clean, i have 6 uninfected fish.

They are all eating. What got me is that it will all disappear around 2 hours later when lights are on, you can actually see it falling off the fish, like slime almost.

Why i think this started a week ago, we had a few cold days on Cape Town and my heater packed up and i guess my tank ran below 20deg as i noticed one afternoon around 2pm my tank temp was 21.5deg. I lost my Multicolour Open Brain, Anthias and eklhorn frag, rest of my corals was not looking well but they all recovered a day or 2 later :(

Thanks

sam-0018.jpg

There are no broken or torn fins on the fish. At first i thought it might be Velvet but after i researched Velvet it does not go away after few hours and reappear...

Its not white spot, its a weird disease i had 2 clowns that had the same thing, it will spread between the clowns but was not fatal, it will go away by its self but you must try separate them, well this is what worked for me. took about 1.5 months to disappear.

The spots are BIG. So not 100% sure it is whitespot, but it is the closest. That is why I included that link to various clown diseases.

WS spots maximum size is about quarter of a mm. Not sure on the size of that fish, if small and good camera / picture, then it could be WS.

Thanks @RiaanP will have a look at the links.

The fish is still small, like 3cm...

What might the reason be for it to disappear after few hours. like in totally gone, not one spot on the fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have cleaner shrimps?

Yeah, i have 2. The Clown and Wrasse does not go to them at all...

hi Jason

I had white spot that attacked all my fish at once but I did some homework to sort it out and if you are keen here is what I did.

I have a reef tank so chemicals were out of the question!!!

I took a large container with a lid about a 60lt capacity and filled it with water and dropped the salinity to 1.012 heater and pump all in and temp is good stable 26c.

I acclimated my fish down from 1.024 to 1.012 over a 4 day period slowly as not to shock them, them after the 4th day I added them to the container. white spot cannot stand low salinity and I kept them in the container over a period of 30 days.

with my main tank fishless the white spot in my main tank died completely over that 30 day period and I mean as in non existent.

in my container with the fish I fed the once every 3rd day as to keep ammonia in check and did water changes at low salinity of 1.012 every day 3 lts at a time.

after the 30 days were up I started acclimating my fish over a 4 day period back to 1.024 and then back into my main tank and never had white spot again.

up to you what you would like to do but this method worked for me hope you may find it useful

Thanks @Blue Reefer, will make a plan to get there in the next 2 days.
@Parraman, fluke and brook needs to be introduced in the system from another fish? I have only added corals in the last 2 weeks, bought from members systems.

My last fish i got was the Mandarin, 3 weeks ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fresh garlic at home, homemade garlic bought last night, getting garlic supplements tomorrow, will soak the food in there for now...

Again, not sure if it's white spot - please guys, if you know better, then correct me.

I used to do FW fish long ago, and never treated them with copper. When I got WS, I used to up the temp in my tank to over 27, and it killed off the WS. Not sure if it will work in marines...

Also, could a FW bath help?

WS will peak with higher temp in marines. Today my Wrasse is totally clean and my Clown has about half the spots. Started feesing them fresh garlic juice with the foods. Hope it will boost them a little, and done another waterchange

Last edited:
Hope so, he is breathing a little fast this morning but ate and swam around the tank...

Back
Top Bottom