Brendan's 1.3m Tank

Reaction score
It's time for the tank that will remain with me for a long time. The nano taught me a lot, the shallow frag tank was heartbreaking but I fell in love with the traditional 'Glass Box' style. Nothing against the "Futuristic Space Helmet" Boyu tanks, I just needed more.

So this is whats happening, I have a 120x45x45 tank waiting for me in Sasolburg, it is being safe guarded by @sheldar. After I finish my current offshore trip, I will take a drive to visit my family and pick up my tank. The tank is braced and I think it has a center brace, not to keen on, but perhaps its removable. So while I contemplated a smaller volume tank, I couldn't bring myself to packing away my brand new 4x54w T5 unit. I love the colour variations you can achieve on it, growth...just all round awesome. I will dabble with some LED's again, but not now.

Skimmer will be my Reeftek T2 with brand new OTP 2000, flow will have to be sorted out as I only have 2 tunze nanostream 6015's and a seiso 530. Thinking SunSun's for now. Some more aragonite will be bought to add to my current supply. I do not have any reactors, I will also start looking into this area once I have this tank up. Stand and sump, we will see...overflow will be a skinny overflow with 2x32mm glass holes, one for overflow and the second will be an emergency overflow. The water level will be 40cms. The tank will be in the lounge area so noise is not the highest priority. The tank will be viewable from both lengths, it just makes more space to add corals. Probably minimalist scaping, flow it vital.

So to recap

Lighting - 4 x 54w T5
Skimmer - Reeftek T2
Return - Boyu 1450lph
Flow - 2 x Tunze 6015's and Seiso 530

Sounds good.
I think it has a center brace, not to keen on, but perhaps its removable.
If it is removable then you can replace it with eurobracing. Should be easy enough, hopefully. :)

You are correct David, since I started this I have decided not to steal my parents tank. (which they are thrilled about)

I might need a mod to rename the thread to Brendan's 1.3m tank. So with that said, I decided to up the capacity and the dimensions should be 1.3L x 0.5H x 0.5W. Water level at 45cms, external overflow box, 3 holes drilled for a Bean and an emergency overflow.

I will be buying 2xJebao RW8's. I do have 1 island pratley'd for the tank, 6.5kgs liverock, 25cms high. Epic tunnels in the base rock for fish.

0805ace8002845d328a2d6027de2ea6f.jpg

5a12b1ac55757aba406a7cb00fb37605.jpg

There has been movement. @Perky pets is building my 130x50x50 tank and stand. Getting really excited about this build.

@459b could you rename this threads name to Brendan's 1.3m Tank , cheers bud.

Gadgets for the 1.3m tank are as follows:

ReefTek T2 skimmer, brand new OTP-2000 pump.
Odyssea quad 54w. 2 ATI bulbs, 2 stock odyssea bulbs (will be buying 2 reeftek bulbs soon)
Jager 150w heater (needs a partner)
2 x Jebao RW-8
2 x tunze 6015 nanostreams if needed
STC-1000

Last edited:
Hello guy's and gals.

The project is nearing completion.There was a slight hickup and one of the side glass panes needs to be replaced. But otherwise this are looking good, the stand is done, I bought Marine Ply wood for the tank and sump to rest on.

I have also decided that I want my current tank to become a sump. I can then build in a large area for a refugium. I will be using my boyu's LED light unit as 35w is more than enough for algae as well as any frags I want to keep in it. I have had sps growth on the unit so its going to work well.

I am looking into a rubber mat for waterproofing the wooden floor that the tank will be on, not the entire room, but just enough so while doing waterchanges and maintenance, it will be easily cleaned. I will make a turn to Cape Town Rubber co. tomorrow and see what they have.

Now here is the fun bit, this is where I need some help from fellow wrasse enthusiasts so... I do not know of any other wrasse lovers...anyhoo...my fish list is being worked on in a hardcore way, with research and all. The stars of this tank will be a pair of Blue Star Leopards-(Macropharyngodon bipartitus) but I also want a Christmas Wrasse-(Halichoeres claudia ) and a Vrolik's Wrasse-(Halichoeres chrysotaenia)

Any thoughts of this combination? Ideally, after a year or so I could get partners for the single male wrasses but that is a later project. I know the difficulties of the leopard wrasses, thats why I will not be jumping on the first one I find.

With the tank just around the corner, I decided to protect the wooden floors in the apartment a little. I bought a rubber flooring. 2x1.2m. That way any spills will be easily cleaned up on the rubber and not the floor.

07638a7a341c40870607c3790dbf7f7e.jpg

Whats all that kit on the right hand side? Looks like some kind of extreme sport equipment?

Ok guys, the tank is in the house! Good news!

So the marine ply wood has been cut and is ready to support a sump. The durso has been made but that all the plumbing I can do right now.

The 1.2m tank needs to be moved for the new tank but that's not happening until the plumbing is done.

Also, where can I get Perspex laser cut? I want to use my piece of Perspex to create an overflow.

1ab0c6bc09bfe995e34e2ef0e3597062.jpg

082acab4d021b6a1a356d09f7dca33d1.jpg

e82abc7f217ed42171c3559389133a4a.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom