Borneman Surge Device - Flush Valve!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hey guys! i finally managed to convince the importer of Fluidmaster to bring in some 507 flush valves for us with he's next container!

is there anybody that wants, i'm taking 4 'cause these things are almost impossible to get your hands on & they are the best!?

there isn't really a local solution besides the 507 valve that i've seen that's proven & can do the job...

the container will get here in 8 weeks but he needs to place the final order before this wednesday...

i don't want to ship so i'd prefer if jo'burg / pretoria reefers are interested, otherwise you can organize your shipper to pick up from me...

here's some links for your info:
the sole SA importer: Dutton Plastics
the valve: Fluidmaster | Products | Flush Valves - Flush Valve 507
an example of the device: ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - DIY - Borneman Surge Device

shot!
ant

Last edited by a moderator:
cool guys, i'm hoping to get the price from doug (@ dutton plastics) today, will post ASAP

hey punk is this a float switch?

nope, it's like a toilet flush valve that can be used to operate the borneman surge device, here's a pic:

BornemanSurgeDevice.jpg

i 1'st wanted to make carlson surge devices but most people recommend the borneman as it's less noisy & produces less bubbles...
i'm making 2 x 40 litre surges, should give me awesome random surging flow! ;)

hey punk, maybe i'm a bit on the stupid side today, but what are you going to use it for?
for auto top up?

eish guys, not sure how i can do this, doug reckons the minimum qty he can order is 36 & i'll have to buy the whole lot from him, also he said he can get the 1.5 inch & the 2 inch so i said i want the 2 inch (50mm) because you can always just use a normal PVC reducer to make it smaller but you can't make it larger... i'll let you guys know what the price is when doug gets back to me but i'm sure i can't afford 36 units by myself...

shot,
ant

Last edited by a moderator:
Well let me know, perhaps we can split the cost and sell them afterwards, as people need them.

Lanzo - very short:
-water gets pumped out of the tank into the "surge" device, until the water level in the "surge device" reaches a certain level, then the valve opens up, and all this water flows back into the tank at a high velocity (taking into account that the surge device must be mounted much higher than the tank)....

Hope you understand?

It's like a wave crashing. Have u ever dumped a bucket of water into your? This is more or less what a surge device does, it dumps lots of water into your tank at once.

Yes - exactly for that purpose. Instead of adding pumps/power-heads... Perhaps TOGETHER with the pumps/power-heads.....

This creates a different stream of water (a SURGE) compared to a pump/power-head... more natural...

mmm, this is very cool.

but won't it switch on the auto-top up when the water is injected into the surge and when the surge release the water won't you then have a flood?

yo lanzo, yes it's a very cool way of adding random surging flow to your tank, it's got it's pro's & cons though...

Ok, I've been looking into something similar to this for the last couple of weeks, but on a wee bit bigger scale. My problem:

If I have to pump out water in the tank/sump into a biggish container that will in turn tilt/flush back into the main Display, what happens to my sump (regarding the auto top up etc) every couple of minutes when my water level decreases???

Surely if my water level drops the auto top up will kick in and pump fresh water in which in turn will eventually flood the sump???
And even if I disconnect it, the water level in the sump will still go down and expose the pumps as they already sitting in about 300 mm deep water if the sump is on level (Has to be there if powercuts happens to be able to maintain the syphon)

If someone clued up with this could please explain to me how, it would really help me make up my mind...

Btw, I am looking at a 200lt Surge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom