DSB to NP Pellets

zak

Reaction score
Ok, so I've taken the plunge and got myself a pellet reactor and some pellets. My system volume is about 300 liters, 300g is the recommended dosage. I got the pellets tumbling 2 weeks ago, started with 50g and have since increased to 100g. Im using a Reeftek TS3.

Will try to update parameters below on a weekly basis..

15 Mar 2012:
NO3: 25ppm
PO4: 0.25ppm
PH: 8.1
dKH: 8.3

21 Mar 2012:
PH: 8
dKH: 8.3 - 8.9

27 Mar 2012:
PH: 8.1
dKH: 8.0

2 weeks later, although parameters haven't changed much, the water clarity has definitely improved and corals look better than ever.

Question, do I remove my existing DSB which has a footprint of about 40cm*30cm? If so, how soon? Do I remove it in one go?

Any other advise on pellet reactors most welcome..

I would keep the dsb in for at least another 2 months. The pellets take a while to get started. When you remove the dsb you have to do it in one go as the dsb contains poisonous substances in the bottom layer that you don't want going into your tank. The best way to do this is to turn the return pump off and remove the whole dsb and all the water in the sump. Then replace the water in the sump with new salt water.

Howzit Zak

Welcome to the NP Pellet clan.

I had the same delemma - loose the DSB(How old is it ?) it interferes with the system biological ratios. Dose bacteria like zeobak, microbacter 7 or special blend - This will kickstart your pellets. Also no Macro Algae Tell me have you had any diatom or cyano ave a look at a Thread I wrote about NP pellets. Been using them for 4 months and the results are awesome!

Have a look at this okes SPS reef !
Reefkeeping Magazine - Tank of the Month

Thanks for the reply - NJ

I intend on starting up a small dsb just for the sake of having some biological filteration. I also want to have some chaeto growing in the same spot.

Should the DSB not assist, I will have to supplement with a NP reactor...

Howzit Zak

Welcome to the NP Pellet clan.

I had the same delemma - loose the DSB(How old is it ?) it interferes with the system biological ratios. Dose bacteria like zeobak, microbacter 7 or special blend - This will kickstart your pellets. Also no Macro Algae Tell me have you had any diatom or cyano ave a look at a Thread I wrote about NP pellets. Been using them for 4 months and the results are awesome!

Have a look at this okes SPS reef !
Reefkeeping Magazine - Tank of the Month

Thanks for heads up Williet, I did read through your thread, was a big help. I have since reduced flow through my pellet reactor.

My DSB is about a year old, not really working for me. How soon after adding your reactor did you loose your DSB?

I've not yet run into any cyano,diatom, or any other bacterial bloom since adding the pellets 2 weeks ago. I did begin with a very small amount and also been dosing special blend..

Ok just saw the video there. Waaayyyyyy to fast !!!! It looks like the pellets are in a blender :smile:
They should be waaayyyyy slower basically just bouncing off of each other. You need to give the bacteria a foot hold to start replicating on the carbon pellets. I haven't taken a vid of my reactor yet (been lazy) Got this vid on the net to give you an Idea.

You will note that the flow is waaayyy slower than yours.
The rule I use is the flow must be just slow enough to prevent the pellets from clumping together(Sticking)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you made me worry if mine is too fast. Will have a look tomorrow.
Why no macro algae or dsb?

@paul bloem

Post a video and lets have a look ! Macro Algae messes with the biological balance of C to N to P
It will affect the effectivity of your biopellets and the task they are required to do. Most people buy biopellets and are supprised to see no difference in their nutrient issues. It is documented but in my opinion not well enough to explain to people DSB, UV, OZone and macro algae are a no, no when running this type of system.

Have a look at my thread I started with regards to Biopellets.
My Biopellet lessons - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Guys...
You Still have me on a buzz...
About to start building my cube 900 x 900 x 600.

I want to mainly do LPS, SPS and fish. leave the softies this round in my big tank

I have run a DSB and Chaeto for years and am happy with the results..
I have cultivated frags from Tree corals, to Monti's etc!

I know every system is different but for my needs mentioned above, which route should I damn well go for...
Actually mentioned this as an option for a talk at the AquariumExpo2012

Sorry if I stole this thread a bit;)

Do you have a "back up" for when there is a Power outage...? You could wipe out you'r Tank with sulphur...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziyaadb View attachment 155289
also important to remember that if you have power outages and the pellets stop tumbling all the bacteria dies and when power comes back on you dumping quite a bit of sulphur into your tank. you have to have backup on that reactor pump it is vital to get it to work properly

Now that explains alot & why my ponies died :(also that awful smell:eek:. That's it I'm removing the NP pellets, that is not happening to me again. Until I get a backup plan for a power supply the pellets stay out. Only if I knew this before New Years then all would have been ok.
N-P nitrate and phosphate reducing bio pellets - Page 3 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa #57

@brentv I am not a subjective person and therefore I will not enforce one method of filtration only.
I personally like Biopellets and they work well for me. It all depends on your needs and what your restrictions are - Mine was space for a sump and with DSB's you need a big one. Zeovit is great and so is NP Pellets. I went with the latter as it is easier imho

So it is really up to you.

@belindamotion

I to can speak of experience. I had a 6 hour powerfailure:( and no backup power. The water looked a bit unclear at the end and I opened and smelled and there was no sulphur as stated above. I have got my outlet from my reactor going directly into the pump of my skimmer so when the power came on boom it went into my skimmer and popped out as foam in my skimmer (in a matter of seconds)cup.

My analysis showed that I just had a bacteria culture die-off and I had to redose bacteria to get things going.

See below and exert further in the thread.

"With regards to the smell of Hydrogen sulphide after the unit has been turned off for some time this is probably due to the fact that the pellet environment runs at an accelerated bacterial state. The number of colony forming units present at the pellets surface is huge compared to the rest of the system.

With this in mind cell respiration can quickly strip the water of oxygen and cause an anoxic environment within the reactor if a fresh oxygenated water supply is cut off. A similar instance can occur if over dosing ethanol (vodka) to an open system and strip the water of oxygen, killing fish and causing bacterial blooms.

The anoxic condition can then lead to bacterial anaerobic digestion and Hydrogen Sulphide to be released by the bacteria. The time scales involved that result in stripped oxygen and an anaerobic condition can differ depending on the amount of pellets used, size of the reactor relative to pellets, any mulm build up inside the reactor due to low flow before power outage other aspects of the system including NO3/PO4 levels in tank and ambient temperature.

Some may not get any sulphur produced even after a relatively long power outage and some sooner. Such events can happen with any other part of a naturally occurring biological system that could go anoxic including DSB's. The handy thing about the pellet reactor is that the pellets can be washed with tank water or RO water if you wish to start from scratch and put back online quickly and easily.

For the most part though power outages do not last more than a few hours and we haven’t had one report of anything similar to this in the U.K. After 6 hours a system would start to become quite lacking in O2 anyway so this may stress animals to the point of death. To sum up though if in doubt just give the reactor a rinse off of the system before bringing back online."

Hi Zak

HAppy to hear you lost the DSB. Just bare in mind that you should tart seeing some result between 7 - 10 days. As more mulm forms it the pellets will even slow down more. The trick is to increase the flow just enough to keep them going !

Good Luck!

Looks good to start with. but you will have to continuously adjust for the next few weeks until

Back
Top Bottom