Urgent help needed somethings chowing my monti

Wes

Reaction score
Basically the extent of the damage would be a lip of new growth, let's call it 2mm length of say 3 CM has been chomped. Can't see it as been broken cause it's right in the middle of a leaf of monti, similar to a new petal within a rose bud, hence you'd see left of bits and peices if it were broken.

Within the last few days, something has started eating my monti, I've tried to take pics of the munched piece, but it's really small so no angle is really possible, it's happening at night. I have however noticed 2 3 footed star fish, white to caramel in colour, sat fairly close to the coral in question. Never seen them before, also a fairly new addition to the tank would be a cleaner shrimp, I've seen him "skower" the tank at night. and then the 3rd suspect in question is a snail, pics added:

59524f5e5a65b0797.jpg

59524f5e5a65a8e60.jpg

This fella is also just hidden underneath the coral in question...

59524f5e5b170ad46.jpg

59524f5e5b1700554.jpg

59524f5e5b16ede1d.jpg

59524f5e5b16e45f2.jpg

Last edited:
Wait till about an hour after lights out and go with a small light to try and find the culprit. It's hard to blame someone without catching them with a mouthful of montipora

the snail is also a member of the Muricidae family
They are predators on other snails.

Top picture

Reishia clavigera

This is not the correct one, will look in my snail books tonight and give you the species that is in South African waters.

Last edited:
Basically the extent of the damage would be a lip of new growth, let's call it 2mm length of say 3 CM has been chomped. Can't see it as been broken cause it's right in the middle of a leaf of monti, similar to a new petal within a rose bud, hence you'd see left of bits and peices if it were broken.

Within the last few days, something has started eating my monti, I've tried to take pics of the munched piece, but it's really small so no angle is really possible, it's happening at night. I have however noticed 2 3 footed star fish, white to caramel in colour, sat fairly close to the coral in question. Never seen them before, also a fairly new addition to the tank would be a cleaner shrimp, I've seen him "skower" the tank at night. and then the 3rd suspect in question is a snail, pics added:

59524f5e5a65b0797.jpg

59524f5e5a65a8e60.jpg

Giant flatworm ?

U also get those in zoa eating flavor.

Wait for lights out, spot the coral that has some on and do a freshwater dip. Works like a charm on zoas. Not sure if SPS will be able to handle it

That snail

Its real name is Purpura Panama
Family muricidae
order Neogastropoda

The family are carnivorous.

They are quite common in all of Natal. Max size is 60mm So a rather big snail.

I spotted a similar snail in my tank. I have some asternia stars but they never bothered my corals. Never saw one on my corals. Guess you get different ones

Back
Top Bottom