Chemi Clean? Has anyone used it with success

@2time there is a product called antired I have read up about and bought some. It's got a pretty simple way of dosing. @Moolis pet store uses it and stocks it and spoke to Shaun at pet store around it as he was busy dosing it in one of his tank. One bottle for 400l. So for my 220l tank I would do: 2l bottle take tank water, mix half the bottle (50ml) then drip it into the return section of the sump. ONLY HALF the 2l bottle so 1l. Then wait for 4 to 6 hours and do the rest (each time make sure the water is shaked up nicely.

I would like to offer some advise though that I did. I went through what you going through two weeks ago and it almost made me give up.

1. I do 5 - 10% water changes every week now
2. The flow is very important more than I like to admit (it seems to move my sand around quite a bit
3. Get a pair of beautiful blue spot (cheek) sand sifting gobbies they are beautiful and don't dump sand onto the coral.
4. I was feeding for about 8 fish (5 chromis, 1 clown, 1 purple tang, two sand sifters, 1 lawnmower blennie) One and half blocks of food in the morning and one and half blocks of food in the evening. Now I have changed it to: Flakes in the morning (all eat), I leave a nice piece of Noori on the window during the day (disappears during the day ;)) and in the evening 1 hour before my entire lighting sequence starts I feed on and half blocks of food. The reason for the half block is that half block is always Mysis for he purple to get some meaty food.
5. I also skim pretty wet at the moment but do that for about 4 hours while I am home and then I turn it down.
6. I feed my corals directly once a week either lance fish (for the bubble) or cyclo-peeze for the froggie, zoas and ric's one a week.
7. Every Sunday I dose Special Blend and then on the Tuesday I dose Prodibia Start Up (need to finish the box that I started) - Special blend smells like sh1t!
8. I clean my skimmer once a week.

Make sure that the food you feed is not left at the bottom of the tank, your clean up crew and the sand sifters will do a good job.

My problem admittedly is that I am the most impatient person in the world and over stocked thought my nice bubble magnus skimmer would handle it but didnt.

I can only share my experiance..... I know it sounds like a lot but, I actually enjoy doing all this keeps my mind sane and I look forward to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@2time there is a product called antired I have read up about and bought some. It's got a pretty simple way of dosing. @Moolis pet store uses it and stocks it and spoke to Shaun at pet store around it as he was busy dosing it in one of his tank. One bottle for 400l. So for my 220l tank I would do: 2l bottle take tank water, mix half the bottle (50ml) then drip it into the return section of the sump. ONLY HALF the 2l bottle so 1l. Then wait for 4 to 6 hours and do the rest (each time make sure the water is shaked up nicely.

I would like to offer some advise though that I did. I went through what you going through two weeks ago and it almost made me give up.

1. I do 5 - 10% water changes every week now
2. The flow is very important more than I like to admit (it seems to move my sand around quite a bit
3. Get a pair of beautiful blue spot (cheek) sand sifting gobbies they are beautiful and don't dump sand onto the coral.
4. I was feeding for about 8 fish (5 chromis, 1 clown, 1 purple tang, two sand sifters, 1 lawnmower blennie) One and half blocks of food in the morning and one and half blocks of food in the evening. Now I have changed it to: Flakes in the morning (all eat), I leave a nice piece of Noori on the window during the day (disappears during the day ;)) and in the evening 1 hour before my entire lighting sequence starts I feed on and half blocks of food. The reason for the half block is that half block is always Mysis for he purple to get some meaty food.
5. I also skim pretty wet at the moment but do that for about 4 hours while I am home and then I turn it down.
6. I feed my corals directly once a week either lance fish (for the bubble) or cyclo-peeze for the froggie, zoas and ric's one a week.
7. Every Sunday I dose Special Blend and then on the Tuesday I dose Prodibia Start Up (need to finish the box that I started) - Special blend smells like sh1t!
8. I clean my skimmer once a week.

Make sure that the food you feed is not left at the bottom of the tank, your clean up crew and the sand sifters will do a good job.

My problem admittedly is that I am the most impatient person in the world and over stocked thought my nice bubble magnus skimmer would handle it but didnt.

I can only share my experiance..... I know it sounds like a lot but, I actually enjoy doing all this keeps my mind sane and I look forward to it.

@mytank

thanks, will do some reading on that product.

I do a big water change(+-200l,+-50%) about every three weeks
but have been feeding quite a lot but im feeding less now.
I did a 100l water change on Saturday and siphoned almost all the cyano I could get to.

Sorry for the short reply, in a bit of a hurry. Will give a more detailed reply again.

Just make sure and more experienced reefers can chime in here but from my perspective it's not the amount so much but rather the type of food. I was feeding rich meaty food along with cyclo-peeze (every two days) often. Now I do a nice portion of flakes in the morning with noori for them to snack on during the day and only do meaty food in the evening once a day.

Would be interesting to hear what the experienced reefers think of amount vs type of food. Sure if you feed 200g of flakes it's going to effect it but replacing one of your meaty food feeds in my case their morning Bfast with flakes instead of meaty foods helps keeps the balance down.....

@mytank .... U have a point, but remember, meaty foods is what helps them grow an colour up nicely, its healthier than the flake version,an they eat up faster than flakes aswell, though flakes has way less nutrients, but mainly coz we feed frozen food incorectly, we suppose to soak the frozen food in tank water till defrosted,then strain I completely b4 feeding, the liquad the mysis an brine etc is frozen in is the main carriers of high nutrients..... So by doin it correctly, we can actually feed as much as we want. However,we don't; so then try minimising the food to a half block per eve instead, even if each fish jus get 1 mysid etc, its enough,

Also on the nori part, u do knw u not allowed to leave nori in the tank more than a ±half hour as it releases phosphates . So feed what they will consume withing the half ±hour.... And remove excess nori,untill next feeding

Flake food has less nutients but results in more waste,hence buildups over time causing nitrates/phosphates .....

So Imo no its not the amnts,nor the type of food but more the methods of feedin that cures buildups leading to high nutrients ....

More experienced reefers feel free to add on or correct any mistakes I may have quoted

Sieraaj

@mytank .... U have a point, but remember, meaty foods is what helps them grow an colour up nicely, its healthier than the flake version,an they eat up faster than flakes aswell, though flakes has way less nutrients, but mainly coz we feed frozen food incorectly, we suppose to soak the frozen food in tank water till defrosted,then strain I completely b4 feeding, the liquad the mysis an brine etc is frozen in is the main carriers of high nutrients..... So by doin it correctly, we can actually feed as much as we want. However,we don't; so then try minimising the food to a half block per eve instead, even if each fish jus get 1 mysid etc, its enough,

Also on the nori part, u do knw u not allowed to leave nori in the tank more than a ±half hour as it releases phosphates . So feed what they will consume withing the half ±hour.... And remove excess nori,untill next feeding

Flake food has less nutients but results in more waste,hence buildups over time causing nitrates/phosphates .....

So Imo no its not the amnts,nor the type of food but more the methods of feedin that cures buildups leading to high nutrients ....

More experienced reefers feel free to add on or correct any mistakes I may have quoted

Sieraaj

So what I am going to do is start a different thread around this, I want to debate this because I am in this dialemer right now and would like to get all the opinions (not that I don't value yours by all means). - just don't want to hijack @2time thread :) I will post the link here once I have started it

So what I am going to do is start a different thread around this, I want to debate this because I am in this dialemer right now and would like to get all the opinions (not that I don't value yours by all means). - just don't want to hijack @2time thread :) I will post the link here once I have started it

Cool, like to here what others have to say also, re food.

Back
Top Bottom