Water Storage

Reaction score
Hi all

How long can you store RO water and, also, how long can you store RO/Salt Mix water?

I am trying to plan for setting up my new tank but dont want to make RO or salt water now if I cant store it for too long.

Thanks

i have kept water for about 1 week in a dark cold room.
if you have non-see thru vats i am sure a little longer, but then you must aerate the water for 24 hrs before use.
i would store RO, then mix the salt a day or 2 before, then aerate

Lasn night I mixed up a batch of saltmix in a 40 litre container.... 2 powerheads and heater..... My intention is 10litres a week WC...... So 1 pump runs constantly and day b4 WC othe pump and heater is activated, after WC back to 1 pump till next week...... Is this ok??? so I will use same saltmix for 4 weeks till next mix

Is this ok??? so I will use same saltmix for 4 weeks till next mix
nope, remember to check for evaporation. Your salinity will slowly increase, especially if the drum can "breath"

Salt mix can be kept for a couple of weeks. all that is needed is a small pump to keep things moving. You cannot keep NSW for a number of days, as you will get die off due to temperature changes etc...
Same applies to having a mix of old tank water and freshly mixed salt. The old water will have bacteria in it that will die off.

RO cannot be kept for too long either. RO water easily absorbs anything in the air. A closed drum is better. Take a glass of RO water and leave it a couple of days open in your fridge. You can taste the milk, cheese and any other strongly flavoured items in your fridge.

Back
Top Bottom