DB Board to replace multiplugs?

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just wanted to get some opinions. Would it be a good idea to use a db board to replace multiplugs? They drive me crazy! I know nothing about this kind of stuff, il just get an electrician to sort it out.

Basically a Db board would help neaten out clutter, but then you wont have the plug on your equipment if you have change this affected unit, and you will need a lot more cable, i went with a Db board and all my equipment runs through it, and its quite simple, live wire goes to your switches, all earth wires if any to earth bar,all neutrals to a neutral bar, im not a electrictian but survive on those DIY matters, if you tell me what you want to connect i might be able to point you in right direction. Just detail all equipment for me and i will be able to draft you up a simple diagram.

Thanks jose. I actually don't have the board yet. I just wanted some opinions on the matter first. I think I will go for a db board my only concern was if I need to change or service the equipment, will it be a lot of work? The db will be in my stand and all my equipment has about 1.8m of cable. So besides the board what else would I need? I want the board to plug into the wall socket

Basically, you can connect from wall plug to main breaker in DB board (just check what size of breaker supplies wall plug and speak to electrial suppliers as to what breaker would be suitable for your DB board,so your live wire will go to breaker, your neutral to neutral bar and earth to earth bar, from main breaker (amps) depending on amount of amps you need for equipment, you can wire it to toggle switches (interconnecting all live wires as to have one supply)as to switch on and off what you require (live wires), the rest of all wires ie neutral and earth wires will go to relevant bars.So to answer your question you would need breaker depending on amps required with mounting bracket, you would need neutral bar length also depends on how much equipment you have to connect, and same applies earth bar, and you would need toggle switches again depending on how much equipment you want to switch on and off.

def go with a board if u can, it makes life far easier with theneatness of the system and if you mark each circuit break propperly it really helps dropping a switch instead pulling a plug each time.

The only hassle comes when u need to add, remove or replace equipment. I thought about doing the db board thing but I'm always changing things so its a bit too much of a las for me at the moment. In my case it was easier to just get a multiplug with individual switches. The db board timers are pretty neat though, I got myself some for my lights but haven't got around to installing them yet....maybe its about time I get around to sorting it out.

Question:
If you wire your equipment to a DB, you have to chop off plugs, does this not void the warranty on some electrical goods?

It does on all goods.

just note that there are certain other laws that comes into play when hard wiring a DB board into your house DB board. Laws around being able to touch DB box while hand is in water etc. Ask @Yuri or any other electrician. Strangely, those laws does not apply on extension cords.

also, replacing a heater for example, means you need to cut all the power to the box, to be able to disconnect the heater's wires. Where with extension cords and plugs, you just pull out that plug. And you plug in the new heater. Fast and quick. With DB board, its a job that demands a beer.

I do agree. A DB box looks neat. But it is not really that cheap. It should be made out of plastic, rust dude... And then the warranty issue.

Multiplugs, they do not look that neat. But they do have their own advantages. No cutting of plugs. Quick to unplug any equipment.

At the end, its your choice.

Last edited:
Correct Riaan. ACDC sell a trunking type system that sockets can be added to make up a "multi plug" type system. There are sockets for our SA plugs and for the schuko etc

On my previous stetup I went for a cheepert option I got some of thoes 6or 8 way light switches with the plastic box behind it one for my tank and one for the sump then wiered everything to thoes which ment only 1 plug going up toi the hood and one for sump o and one for my lights as that was on a plugin timer much cheeper than a db as the 8 switch and box is cheeper than 1 breaker my new hood will have this built in along with the timer so there will be only 1 cable going up behind the tank

On my previous stetup I went for a cheepert option I got some of thoes 6or 8 way light switches with the plastic box behind it one for my tank and one for the sump then wiered everything to thoes which ment only 1 plug going up toi the hood and one for sump o and one for my lights as that was on a plugin timer much cheeper than a db as the 8 switch and box is cheeper than 1 breaker my new hood will have this built in along with the timer so there will be only 1 cable going up behind the tank

What?

How much do db boards cost? My reason for doing this is mainly neatness but if its gonna cost more than my complete setup, i'll go with multiplugs ;)

@Fishman Just my 2c, I went the db board way, I paid R115 for a acdc board, comes complete with 1x earth and 2x neutral bars. I used 6amp circuit breakers R35 each. 1 for each of my equipment. I aslo used 2.5mm house wire in trunking to my tank. As for the plugs, all my equipment as 2 point plugs on them, what I did was I used block connectors to connect the plugs to the wires, This is the biggest one you can find see pic below “I think they are 23amp connectors can’t remember”. By doing it this way you do not cut the plug off and void the warranty. To water proof this I used small plastic bottles with a slit cut on the side so that the connector and plug is in the bottle. Now, my reason for doing this. All the plugs in my house are wired to 20amp breakers now they only trip at 30amp as far as I know. Multiplugs are rated 15amp so in my mind if something goes wrong the multiplug will be 15amp over what its rated for, now I know some multiplugs have a build in tripswitch but I don’t trust it. I sow a few that failed already. I also sow a few multiplugs that has melted already and I personally had one that the equipment shocked me that was plugged into it. Currently my DB board is running of a plug but I am working toward getting an electrician to wire it to the main db board on its own breaker. Please this is just my opinion and might not be correct in any way. I wired my DB board 2m away from the tank by the door so if something happens I can quickly switch everything off.
picture.php

Back
Top Bottom